Brymbo Iron and Steel Works, Wrexham
Reinterpreting the former Brymbo Iron and Steel Works in North Wales as visitor attraction, learning and commercial hub
Between 1792 and 1990 Brymbo was world-renowned for the quality of its iron and steel. At its height in the 1980s, the steelworks employed nearly 2,500 people. It closed in September 1990.
By 2008, a third of its area was being used for housing with more than 550 individual residential units. The remaining two-thirds is the subject of an ongoing regeneration programme to bring shops, a new school, light industrial units and more housing to the site. A tenth of the site is being designated 'Brymbo Heritage Area'.
The heritage area comprises 4 ironwork buildings dating from 1792 through to 1847, two colliery buildings and a pit shaft from 1897, a steel works machine shop from 1920 and several 1960s structures. Beyond the industrial heritage story of the last two hundred years, the site also contains a fossilised forest and coal measures dating back 300 million years, geology that made the industrial growth possible all those years later.
Brymbo Heritage Group is a local group made up of former steelworkers and enthusiasts. Its aim is to tell Brymbo's story, preserve its industrial past and turn it into a world-class attraction. We have helped the group engage the wider community and develop a master plan through participatory workshops that took place in December 2014 and February 2015. The results of these workshops will inform the group’s applications for funding and will help them seek further support locally and nationally.
This project has received support by The Prince's Regeneration Trust through the BRICK mentoring programme.